Chester County DUI Program



Driving Privilege and License Restoration

Act 122:  For convicted clients only

If you are not an ARD client and have been convicted and incarcerated due to a DUI arrest, you will be placed under provisions of Act 122.  To have your license reinstated at the end of your suspension, you must successfully complete all requirements of the Court Order which includes:  CRN, AHSS, TREATMENT AND PAY ALL FINES, COSTS, FEES AND RESTITUTION IN FULL.  When you have completed your CRN, AHSS, TREATMENT and PAID ALL FINES, COSTS, FEES AND RESTITUTION IN FULL, your Probation Officer will send a completion Order to the Clerk of Courts. The Clerk of Courts will release proper forms to PennDOT for license reinstatement.

Act 151:  For convicted clients only

This law came into effect on 12/21/99.  It specifies that the credit toward license suspension shall not begin until your release from prison.  On the date of your conviction, you will hand in your license to the Clerk of Courts. They will send your license to PennDOT.  A form will be sent from the prison to the Clerk of Courts verifying that your jail time has been completed.  Once the Clerk of Courts receives this form they will notify the Department of Transportation and your license suspension will begin as of that date.  YOU CAN NOT DRIVE ONCE YOU HAVE SURRENDERED YOUR LICENSE. 

Act 63:  Ignition Interlock for 2nd time DUI Offenders only

Effective September 30, 2003:  PennDOT requires Ignition Interlock in all cases where the second or subsequent violation occurred on or after October 1, 2003.  Drivers can not avoid Ignition Interlock.  Drivers are required to install Ignition Interlock on all vehicles that they own (including leased).  Ignition Interlock restricted drivers can not drive any vehicle not equipped with the Ignition Interlock.  PennDOT will be notifying you how and where to have Ignition Interlock installed.

Pennsylvania Licensed Residents

Credit toward serving your suspension will begin when your valid driver’s license, learner’s permit and/or temporary license (camera card) is surrendered to the Court or PennDOT.  If you do not have a driver’s license to surrender, you must submit a letter of acknowledgment attesting to the loss or destruction of your license.  When PennDOT receives your driver’s license or acknowledgment, it will send you a receipt.  If you do not receive this receipt, contact PennDOT; otherwise, you will NOT be given credit toward serving the suspension/revocation. 

****If your address on your license differs from your current residence notify PennDOT immediately. They will not forward license information in the mail.

Non-resident licensed driver or an unlicensed driver

Credit toward serving your suspension will begin when you submit a statement acknowledging the suspension/revocation to PennDOT.  The acknowledgment must be signed, dated and notarized.

If you are convicted of a traffic offense (DUI) in a DLC (Driver License Compact) state, the DLC member state is required to report the conviction to the Department of Transportation.  An example would be if you are convicted of DUI in a DLC member state, your driving privilege would be suspended for a minimum of one year in Pennsylvania.  This came into effect on January 1, 1995.  Currently there are 46 participating states.  Pennsylvania is a participating member.

Approximately 30 days before your suspension/restoration period ends, PennDOT will mail you a letter outlining what you must do to have your driving privilege restored. 

For additional information go to

Website Builder